Today I wanted to share photos of our new brick patio and explain how we made it: The Cheap Way!
So, we have this plot of ground that is about 5' x 10' that we used as a garden (which was a major fail) but now is currently under management of the weeds. This is the only picture I have where you can see the area I am referring to. This was taken when we first moved in. Behind the poisonous-to-dogs-tree (since removed) you can see the future home of our new brick patio.
So, we (meaning Steve) gathered all the bricks and then dug out a little bit of the dirt that was there but really he just pounded the dirt down (with a mallet or brick) and laid weed control fabric down first before laying the bricks down in a random order. Not too random though, because we didn't want all the old bricks on one side and all the new bricks on the other- so he tried to stagger them.
After pounding and laying them down, I helped him this past weekend to add in the sand. It was kind of relaxing- pouring in sand and sweeping it into the cracks. Note: buy the proper sand- I hear that not all sands are created equal. We bought whatever the Lowes guy told us to.
Another thing- not all bricks are created equal! He figured this out after realizing that the free bricks I had gathered were much taller than the cheap bricks we had bought. To compensate for different heights, he removed the shorties one at a time and put extra sand underneath them. This is not the correct way to do it- but hey, this is the cheap (and resourceful) way to do it!
Here's what it looks like right now:
I know that not everyone can enjoy an imperfect patio, but I sure can and I am thrilled we no longer be overrun with weeds! And for some reason, Copper and Calvie (the cat) like it too.
Total cost = $102.75
Weed-free Fabric: $10.00 (on sale)
Bricks: some free (about 50 and a few pavers)
The rest of the bricks: $62.76 (this was 210 bricks @ $.25 ea and 5 pavers @ $.99ea)