October 15, 2013

Bathroom Challenge: Complete!

We are done with the bathroom. At least it is guest-worthy now!

I had given myself a budget of $150 to begin with (I told you it was cheap!) and managed to come in right over $150 using free paint, lots of our own time, thrifty shopping and manual labor.

Here are some "before" pictures to refresh your memory:




And here are my "after" pictures- now ready for our guests coming!


 

So, we used a really pretty gray color (that is hard to photograph!), replaced the flooring with new tiles, installed baseboard trim, replaced the shower curtain, painted the ceiling with leftover free paint we had, replaced the florescent light with two vanity lights, added a hand towel ring, added bath towel hooks and added a new bath rug, and some last-minute art for the walls.


Here are some more pictures and details:
I printed these off from The Graphics Fairy and threw them in these clearance frames from Target.


The hooks are from The Home Depot and are anchored in nice and sturdy.
The shower curtain, liner and hooks are from Marshalls.
The vanity lights are from The Home Depot. And the towel ring is Target.
I know you are curious of the cost breakdown, so here it is:

  • Flooring: $30 (from The Home Depot, peel-and-stick-tiles, Carrarra marble pattern)
  • Drywall for repairs: $3
  • Vanity Lights from HD: $9
  • Paint (color-matched to Driftwood Gray, Martha Stewart): $15.50 for a quart
  • Electrical wiring: $7.20
  • Miter box for cutting baseboards: $5
  • Baseboard trim: $24
  • Shower Curtain from Marshalls: $15
  • Hooks for Shower curtain, from Marshalls: $4
  • Shower Curtain Rod, from Target: $6.50
  • Shower Curtain Liner, from Marshalls: $6
  • Bathmat, from Marshalls: $8
  • Towel Holder, from Target: $12
  • Frames, on clearance from Target: $8
  • Art, printed at home: FREE
  • Ceiling paint, leftover gallon at home: FREE
  • Labor for installing lights: FREE 
          Total Cost = $153.20

Now, there are still things that we plan to finish- like painting the door trim white, painting the window frame white, and re-caulking the shower but for now, I am thrilled that is done and functioning again. And I will try to get a better picture soon, of our flooring because I realized as I looked back that none of my pictures showed a good shot of it.
I'd love to hear what you think!

Linking up to www.remodelaholic.com

October 10, 2013

Bathroom Challenge: Painting!

I am back and apologize for the delay in my bathroom series! I am feeling the time crunch as we have our first round of visitors coming in just three days.

So, paint... I hate picking out paint colors. I think I have paint-paralysis. I would like to think that I am capable of picking out colors confidently but I am not and I second guess myself all the time.

This time it was different- the lighting is off in that tiny bathroom and there is hardly any natural light. I might have made a few separate trips to several different stores in the span of the past week trying to pinpoint the color I was going for.

In my last post, I mentioned that I would be using Valspar's Shallow Tide. Alas- they have stopped making it. Long story short... I settled on two different colors and took them home and did not like them once I saw them in their natural environs. Case in point here...


It is hard to tell from this picture, but they turned out to be mint green and the other was blue- like baby blue. Needless to say, I was going to try and be creative with the mint green but I just couldn't hack it. It got axed.

I settled on Driftwood Gray by Glidden.



Here it is on the walls. Ignore my ceiling. I plan to paint it. I couldn't get a good angle looking in on the bathroom because of the glare of the lights. It just didn't look right but these pictures are pretty accurate on the color. I am pleased and more importantly, I am glad it is done.



By the way, I didn't even use one full quart of paint! Now I am off to finish baseboards, paint the ceiling, and maybe get some painting going for the door trim.





October 3, 2013

Bathroom Challenge: Light Fixtures

I wish I could have worked on the guest bathroom more this week but we had a family crisis this week and I just couldn't make it happen. For those of you who are just joining... I am attempting to makeover our guest bathroom on a budget of $150. You can read about it here.

Anyways, one of my challenges was to get rid of this ceiling florescent light strip. It had to go.

bathroom challenge

My husband tore it out and very quickly made some large holes in the walls next to the mirror for the new light fixtures. There are pipes behind that main wall so we had to be careful where we placed the new light fixtures. 

I originally had gone to the store and picked out lights which were fine but a little pricier than I wanted- remember that my budget is $150! So, I made a quick trip into the Home Depot and laid my eyes on these, even before I looked at the price. I liked the quirkiness of them, the jelly jar glass and THE PRICE!

home depot jelly jar light
via The Home Depot




These were $3.97 each. And yes, I get it... they aren't glamorous or the most beautiful light fixtures but they are kind of different and I liked them enough to get them!

I found a similar type here in this picture:

via
And here are the lights installed... please excuse the crazy wall needing to be patched up! I have to take a deep breath and remind myself that it usually looks a lot worse before it looks any better!

Bathroom Challenge: Light Fixtures

This was my first coat, so ignore the unevenness of it!


We used a pre-mixed joint compound made for sheet-rock. It was a little creamier than anticipated and it takes a full day to dry between coats, so it has been slow going.

Stay tuned for painting the walls and installing the baseboards! Here is a sneak peak of the wall color:

via